Office

Office
Waiting room

Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2012

More and more Dry Eye Patients

I have been studying dry eye for quite a while at this point.
Dry eye is one of the subjects that follow the rule. The more I know about this subject, the less I actually know.
At one point you think that artificial tears are the best you can do. Next you think punctal plugs are the "sure answer". Somewhere along the line you try Restasis Lotemax and even the obvious Lacrisert.

What I have found most interesting it the TearLab. What it tells us is that the symptoms do not correlate with the actual tear osmolarity. You can have patients who are miserable and have normal tear chemistry.
You can have patients who are totally asymptomatic and yet have what can only be classified as "severe" dry eye.
Lately I have been speaking to patients all over the world. Australia, Canada, Sweden etc.
They have a common problem. Extreme discomfort with no help in sight.

Some have asked me to open this blog up as a forum for them to speak directly to me as the Dry Eye Talk keeps a tight leash on professionals. It is almost as if they don't want to help the patients who are absolutely miserable.
I will take a peak at this site form time to time. If we get some activity, that will be great. If not, there won't be any difference since the blog has been up.
So, let me know if you have any questions.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! glad to drop by your page and found these very interesting and informative stuff. Thanks for sharing, keep it up!

    - dry eye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ever deal with patients who have taken accutane in the past? I’ve taken accutane before and it was the cause for my red, dry eyes. It has been 3 months since I took the last pill and my eyes still remain dry to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog frequently and I just thought I’d say keep up the amazing work! lasik eye surgery Michigan

    ReplyDelete